Intra-Company Transfer Visa

L Visa

Q: What is L visa?

L is a nonimmigrant classification that enables the temporary intra-company transfer to the United States of aliens with management, executive, or other specialized professional skills. It further permits an alien – transferee’s spouse and children, unmarried and under age 21, to accompany him or her into the United Sates. The visa is divided into the following sub categories.

  • L-1 visas facilitate the temporary, intra-company transfer of executive, managerial and specialized personnel, who are employment with an international firm or corporation:
  • Managers and executive transferees – those who manage an "essential function" – are issued L-1A visas.
  • Transferees possessing "specialized knowledge" are issued L-1B visas.
  • The spouse and children, unmarried and under 21, of an L-1 alien are issued L-2 visas.
Q: What are the legal requirements?

To be eligible for an L=1 visa, an alien must:

  • Have been employed by a foreign company in an executive, managerial, or specialized capacity outside of the United Sates for at least one year within the three years prior to the date of his or her visa application;
  • Seek temporary admission for employment in the United States by a parent, branch, affiliate, or subsidiary of his or her foreign employer;
  • Seek to be employed in the United States as a manager, or executive, or in a position requiring specialized knowledge; and
  • Have already met the required employment qualifications regarding education and experience.
Q: As applied to an L-1B visa, what constitutes "specialized knowledge?"

A foreign employee who possesses proprietary knowledge about his or her company’s product is one example of specialized knowledge personnel. He or she might then be eligible to enter the United States to share such specialized knowledge with United States employees.

Q: For how long is an L visa valid?

L visas are valid for up to seven years. L-1 aliens must intend to leave the United States upon the expiration of his or her authorized stay. L-2 aliens, who are considered to be the dependents of L-1 aliens, have the same length of authorized stay as his or her L-1 spouse or parent.

Q: Can an L alien travel outside of the United States?

L-1 aliens who seek to travel outside of the United States for short trips risk being denied entry upon return if his or her visa has expired. In certain situations, L-1 aliens may be granted a new L visa without leaving the United States by applying for revalidation through the State Department. Such aliens must be in valid status, must have a passport that will be valid for at least six months, and must have an original L visa that either will remain valid for 60 days or less, or that has expired within the last 12 months.

Contact Information

U.S. Office Address: 
60 East 42nd Street, 46th Floor             New York, NY 10165, USA
Phone: 646 480-5779 x 4652

Taiwan Office Address:                       台灣台北建國北路二段66號7樓
66 Jianguo North Road, Section 2, 7th Floor, Taipei, Taiwan 
Phone: 02 2515 5855

Image courtesy of stockimages at

Like Us on Facebook!

English中文 微博


Subscribe to Clients & Friends

200 OK


The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, [no address given] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.